Friday, August 22, 2008

BYOB + Google = Philly Mealtime Mashup

I ran across a link to this site while surfing some local foodie blogs; GoPhila has created a clever little mashup to promote the odd and wonderful dining category that seems to flourish in Philly, the B.Y.O.B. Here's our neighborhood for example:



Some people think the spike in BYOB dining is linked to the state's monopoly on wine (non-PA residents: you have to buy every drop from a state store or go across the border). The margins on a bottle at a restaurant are so thin that serving wine becomes an obstacle to serving great food. There's been alot of great BYOB "start-ups" in town, chefs who were catapulted into the mainstream from the tiny kitchens of neighborhood BYOBs.

I have to admit, having been a tourist and now a new resident, I was a bit skeptical about the whole concept of the bring-your-own-bottle dining. The idea of dragging along your own wine to a meal seemed kinda cheap.

I thought this link would be a good way of getting other skeptics like me to explore your BYOB options if you're coming to visit Philly...plus, I love useful Google Mashups.


C & E

1 comment:

  1. Caroline from the Philadelphia Tourism office here. So glad you stumbled upon the BYOB mashup. Isn't it great?

    I hope it helps you explore your new city, meal by delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete